No, I’m not dead, I promise.
Wow. It’s been over a month since I posted last. I would suggest that if you’re wanting to follow the blog, you should probably sign up for email updates. Let’s just be honest, I’m a seriously erratic poster at best, and since I’m trying to do a million things at once now, I sometimes forget I have a blog. So, let’s just pretend I’m sending you and sign up. A hell of a lot has happened since then, so let’s just go with the bullet points for now.
- We managed to finally get to Missouri despite two full days of truck packing, cleaning, and various other mishaps. (Not to mention two different moving companies. The second day we actually paid the guys who were moving out someone else in our complex to pack the last few things in the truck. We gave up.)
- The hotel we stayed at in Kentucky was god awful. All a hotel really needs is a good bed. Ours felt like we were sleeping on a set of box springs. I had a massive allergy attack due to the renovations going on in the damn hotel and slept like shit and we had to park the U-Haul half way down the street because the hotel (off the INTERSTATE) had almost no parking. Winchester, Kentucky “Quality” Inn, you fail.
- We were an hour away from the new house when the rear tire of the U-Haul blew out going 70 on the highway. Then, we got to wait two hours for a guy 20 minutes away to come change out the tire so we could continue on our way. In the meantime, I had to pee (obviously) and ended up in a hole in the wall biker bar in the middle of nowhere. Yeah, my life. Adventure.
- The truck pulled into the driveway at 9pm. We were expecting to be there at 6 pm. We were not best pleased. Then, that night, we had an epic freaking thunderstorm that scared the beejeezus out of me because my weather radio wasn’t hooked up yet.
- We got the truck unloaded in record time, but the boxes are still invading my entire freaking house.
- Our house, it is crooked. If you’ve ever seen the “How I Met Your Mother” episode where Lily and Marshall live in the apartment where they can slide from one end to the other because of the tilt, you understand. Drop a can in the front of the house and it’s going to the kitchen without you. Whatever, it’s over 100 years old and is entitled to be a little crooked.
- I learned the other day that the house was built before the advent of insulation. Yep, freezing ass cold is going to be the regular state of being this winter.
- We were adopted by a tiny stray cat. She showed up and was so skinny that we couldn’t not feed her. It would have been cruel. Now, she lives in our poor sad garage and loves us.
- Fat Kitty and Tonks are loving their new house, now that the moving stress is over. There’s lots of windows to look out of and things to see. Like cows. Lots and lots of cows.
- Our dining table comfortably seats 4. Last Friday evening, there were 6.5 people sitting around it trying to eat dinner. It was interesting to say the least. (The half person is our nephew, he’s 6.)
- Plumbing is the most underrated invention ever. I learned this when our septic line burst in our yard last week. Three men spent an entire afternoon digging up the lawn to replace it. I like flushing, it’s awesome.
- School is going pretty well. I have one SERIOUSLY amazing professor and one absolutely random batshit one. It’s going to be a long semester.
- I’m liking it here a lot more than I thought I would. People are so nice, and I’m only half the stress case that I was when we lived in DC. Current stresses include, studying for exams you know are going to be random as all hell because your professor can’t think in a straight line, and a lack of employment. Listen people, I’m awesome and your workplace would be a thousand times better with me in it. I’m more than qualified for these jobs I’m applying for. Hire me, you know you want to.
- I miss you, dishwasher!
- I’ve been breeding fruit flies in lab. Yep, my astronomically shaky self has to play with tiny fruit flies two to three times a week. It’s a hell of a learning curve, seriously.
- Antenna based internet is vastly superior to satellite based. No usage restrictions FTW.
- The weather is finally cooling off. Hello fall, I’ve missed you!
That’s about all the random I have time for today. Pictures to come, promise. Also (hopefully) more regular posting. I just need to set aside a little blogging time once a week. Seriously though, if I could have one day where no one came to my house out of nowhere, that would be awesome and I would appreciate it.